Dark spots also called post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation, are common spots that appear on the face or skin. They are dark spots or bruises that have darkened in colour due to excessive exposure to the sun leading to an overproduction of melanin.
What causes it is the fact that when the skin is exposed to the UV rays, they stimulate collagenase production under the surface of your skin causing damage to the endothelial layer of the blood vessels.
This will then cause the red and purple pigments to rise to the surface, which is what we see as dark spots. This condition can also be hereditary or it can be caused by other external factors such as skin inflammation, hormonal changes, acne, hyperpigmentation, using harmful skin products, and also the use of certain medications.
There are various ways to get rid of dark spots. However, it can be a daunting task especially when it is difficult to ascertain the cause of spots appearing on your face.
Here are 6 effective dark spot treatments
- Vitamin C serums: Vitamin C serums are a very good treatment for dark spots. Vitamin C contains a lot of rejuvenating ingredients that can help repair skin and anti-ageing ingredients as well. It also reduces hyperpigmentation and also brightens the skin. There are a lot of brands that produce these serums that are available off-the-counter and the best part is that they are great for all skin types.
- Chemical peels: Chemical peels are cosmetic procedures and treatments used to improve the skin and cure skin problems like dark spots. During a chemical peel, chemical portions are applied to the skin after which the skill eventually peels off, giving way for new, smoother skin to come up. In this case, the dark spots will be peeled off as well.
- Hydroquinone: Hydroquinone is one of the oldest and the most effective treatments for dark spots. This is because hydroquinone contains active tyrosinase which helps in the production of melanin. Hence, as melanin is produced, the skin heals and gives you naturally smoother and healthier skin. A common side effect of hydroquinone is redness or burning, that is why a spot test is often required before usage.
- Soy extract: Soy extract is great for the skin as it is a natural skin brightener. Using products that contain a huge amount of soy or just soy extract will brighten the hyperpigmentation and dark spots on your skin.
- Kojic Acid: Kojic acid is a chemical produced from different types of fungi like fermented rice and mushrooms and is a very common brightening product. It is best used alongside other brighteners and is known to produce the best results for curing dark spots. However, it is very common for a lot of people to be allergic to kojic acid, due to the mixture of different fungi.
- Lasers: Although the cost of laser procedures is quite pricey, it is the most effective treatment for dark spots. The laser technology uses a light beam to break up pigment particles on a person’s skin, treating hyperpigmentation immediately. Before embarking on a laser procedure, you must consult your dermatologist and seek their advice on what procedure to take, and the best type of light beams to use for your dark spots.
Home remedies for treating dark spots
- Lemon Juice and Honey: Make a mixture of lemon juice and honey and apply it on your dark spots. Leave it on for about 10 minutes before rinsing it off with cold water. This is a great home remedy that not only helps to lighten the dark spots, but also leaves your skin feeling softer and smoother.
- Almond oil and lemon juice: Another great home remedy is to mix equal parts of almond oil and lemon juice. Apply this mixture to your dark spots and leave it on overnight. The next morning, rinse it off with cold water and you will see a significant difference in the appearance of your dark spots.
The best way to prevent dark spots from forming is to adopt a good skincare routine and make sure that you use products that suit your skin type. You should also drink a lot of water and maintain a healthy diet as well.
Read Also: How to Get Rid of Blackheads Naturally