Ever since news broke out about the engagement between Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, there’s been talks as to who the next addition to the British Royal Family is.
Most people know Prince Harry’s new fiancee as the actress who plays paralegal Rachel Zane on the USA drama Suits. Here are 10 things you should know about Meghan Markle:
- She was born Rachel Meghan Markle on August 4, 1981 in Los Angeles County, California, U.S.
- She’s Biracial. Her Mum is African-American and her Dad is Dutch-Irish. Both met on the set of a TV show where they both worked. Though they divorced in 1987/1988 when Meghan was just 6 years Old.
- This wouldn’t be her first marriage. She was previously married to Trevor Engelson in 2011, though the couple split in 2013.
- She’s a humanitarian and philanthropist. From a young age, Markle says her mother opened her eyes to poverty by taking her traveling to remote places around the world. “My mother raised me to be a global citizen, with eyes open to sometimes harsh realities,” she wrote in a post on The Tig.
- Becoming the Global Ambassador for World Vision Canada in 2016, she traveled to Rwanda for the Clean Water Campaign and also presented at United Nations Headquarters for the HeForShe Gender Equality Campaign in 2014. Earlier this year, she spent a week in slum communities of Delhi and Mumbai, India, to learn about issues and challenges facing women and girls there.
- She used to run a lifestyle website. Markle blogged on a lifestyle website called The Tig. She launched the food, travel, fashion and beauty digital publication in 2014, ending earlier this year.
- She’s an actress. She played Rachel Zane on the USA Network show Suits, which is filmed in Toronto, Ontario. She completed work on that series’ seventh season in late 2017. Markle has appeared in two 2010 films, Get Him to the Greek and Remember Me, and one 2011 film, Horrible Bosses.She has also appeared in episodes of Cuts, Love, Inc., 90210, Knight Rider, Without a Trace, The League, and Castle.
- She worked as a professional calligrapher. She worked as a professional calligrapher, freelancing most times. “I used to be a calligrapher for weddings and events — that was my side job while I was auditioning,” she told Good Housekeeping, adding, “I think handwritten notes are a lost art form.”
- Markle graduated in 2003 from Northwestern University, near Chicago, where she earned a bachelor’s degree in communications with a double major in theater and international studies
- Markle grew up in Hollywood. From age five, she was educated at private schools, beginning at Hollywood Little Red Schoolhouse. Markle later attended Immaculate Heart High School, an all-girl, private Catholic school in Los Angeles. Although nowadays she describes herself as being a protestant.
- She has quite the heritage. Her mother is descended from Africans enslaved in Georgia, and her father from Dutch, English, and Irish settlers. Among her father’s ancestors are Sir Philip Wentworth and Mary Clifford, a descendant of King Edward III of England. Other ancestors include Captain Christopher Hussey of Hampton, New Hampshire. She’s also related to Shakespeare. According to MyHeritage.com, she is related to Shakespeare on her father’s side and Shakespeare’s mother’s side.