The OWSD Early Career fellowship is a prestigious award of up to USD 50,000 offered to women who have completed their PhDs in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) subjects and are employed at an academic or scientific research institution in one of the listed Science and Technology Lagging Countries (STLCs). The OWSD Early Career fellows will be supported to establish an environment at their institution where they can maintain an international standard of research and attract scholars from all over the world to collaborate.
The fellowship programme supports early career women scientists to lead important research projects in those countries which have been identified as especially lacking in scientific and technological resources.* The fellows will undertake their research projects in one of the eligible countries and applicants must demonstrate that they have spent significant periods of time in that country (at least 5 years in total). Applicants must also have a guarantee of employment at the institution where they intend to carry out the research.
The OWSD Early Career fellowship is for two years and offers up to USD 50,000.
To be eligible to apply for the OWSD Early Career fellowship applicants must meet the following criteria:
1. Eligible countries
- Applicants must have been resident in one of the listed Science and Technology Lagging Countries (STLCs)* for at least 5 years.
- Please note: i) The 5 years do not have to be consecutive. ii) The countries may vary slightly each year (please always check the current list).
- Applicants can be citizens of any country, provided that the above residence requirement is fulfilled.
2. Eligible employment
- At the time of application, applicants must provide proof of being employed at the university or research institute where the research project will be carried out. If employment has not yet commenced, a proof of employment offer and confirmation of acceptance is required.
- The institution where the research project will be carried out must be in one of the listed STLCs.
- Applicants must provide evidence that they will receive a salary from their university/research institute for the duration of the two-year fellowship.
3. Eligible STEM fields (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) Agricultural Sciences
- Astronomy, Space and Earth Sciences
- Biological Systems and Organisms
- Chemical Sciences
- Computing and Information Technology
- Engineering Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Medical and Health Sciences
- Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
4. Eligible academic qualification
- PhD in one of the above listed study fields.
- PhD awarded not more than 10 years prior to application.
DEADLINE: April 30 2019